Monday 7 October 2013

The Secret Behind a Pre-Poo.

Pre–Poo? What on earth is that?

Well, to start of, the term ‘pre-poo’ is short for ‘pre-shampoo’. It’s basically a treatment that you can apply to your hair prior to shampooing it. The treatment can consist of a number of things ranging from natural oils to conditioners.



What made me start. . .

Pre-pooing was and still is the best thing I have ever tried on my hair. I remember the first time I heard about it, I was under the impression: that this will only eat into my time. Little did I know, that pre-pooing literally saved and still does continue to save my hair from the one thing texlaxed hair suffers from → dryness. I’ll go on and list what this wonderful treatment does for my hair.

ξ        Moisture Control. The natural oils I use behave like a humectant.

ξ        Prevents excess stripping of oils by shampoo. A disadvantage of most shampoos is that they strip hair of their natural oils. This ends up leaving hair dry due to lack of moisture that is provided from the oils already present in your hair. A pre-poo helps in restoring the natural oils back into the hair shaft.

ξ        Detangles. It’s a miracle how my strands are easily separated after having the treatment on for a substantial amount of time right before I shampoo my hair.
 
What I use to Pre–Poo

In my opinion natural oils are by far the best products to use for this treatment. You’re probably wondering why, the answer is pretty simple: you know how our hair already contains its own set of oils, well.. the external natural oils act like a supplement to combat the oils that are already present in our hair. When picking the oils, make sure the label either says ‘extra, organic or pure’. (This just means that the oils were extracted slowly so as to preserve them in their natural state). My personal favorite include:

ξ        Tropical / Pure Coconut oil. Oh how I love coconut oil. It easily penetrates the hair shaft adding moisture.

ξ        Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I love love love love Olive Oil. I particularly add this one in primarily because of my scalp issues. It cleans it very well.
 
 
 

 How I Pre–Poo

1.      I mix equal portions of coconut oil and olive oil in a container. NB: If I’m doing a hot oil treatment, I heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.

2.      I separate my hair into 4 sections.

3.      Detangle each section using a wide tooth comb.

4.      Dampen each section with warm water from a spray bottle.

5.      Soak each section with oil.

6.      Wear a plastic cap and a head scarf on top for 30 mins to trap in the heat.

7.      And then I go ahead and shampoo my hair.

 

My Alternative

Like I said earlier, I use two oils for my pre-poo treatment. Depending on you, you could either use the oils just as they are at room temperature. Or you could heat them up. When I heat the oils up, that’s what I call a hot oil treatment.

How often do I Pre–Poo

I wash my hair approximately once every 7-10 days. So I pre-poo right before I shampoo my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment