Sunday 15 September 2013

Dealing with breakage at the Demarcation Line.

First things first…What is a demarcation line?
 
A demarcation line is terminology that refers to the point at which two hair textures meet. In my case, I am currently 7 week’s post relaxer ( I say ‘relaxer’ because I texlaxed using a mild relaxer – refer to my older post titled “Ever heard of Texlaxing. . .” ). I’m slowly transitioning to texlaxed hair, so I definitely have a demarcation line, actually, I have two demarcation lines. The first being between the new growth and the texlaxed hair and the second being between the texlaxed hair and the relaxed hair. Considering I’m only 7 weeks post, my new growth is not as much, so I’m not too concerned about the first demarcation line. Either way, breakage is likely to occur at one or both of the lines if the hair lacks proper care.
 



My demarcation line is visible when my hair is wet.

In My Case
I’m newly texlaxed and I would do just about anything to look after my hair. In the beginning (just a few weeks ago), I was uncertain where to begin. My hair was constantly dry and brittle, and dry hair equals breakage, I was clueless and worried. ( Texlaxed hair, as we know it, is hair that is not 100% processed by the relaxer, so it shares some properties with natural hair, and the most common is dryness ). Something had to be done. So i went on out and did some research. My research skills led me to products that did wonders for my hair. Oh how gorgeous and shiny my hair became.
 
My hair was dry and brittle.
 
Got that glow in my hair

That brings me to my routine to get rid of the dryness that caused the breakage. Let’s go step by step.




x        The most important point to me is patience and gentleness. Ladies be patient with your hair, even though it doesn’t sit the way you wish it did.

x        Finger detangling – most days I even resort to finger combing, it’s not necessary to use a comb all the time.

x        Use a wide tooth comb – I like to call it the magic comb. Sometimes I can comb and no hair sheds, it separates my strands wonderfully.

x        Moisturizing and Sealing – Look out for my moisturizing and sealing method, routine and products…coming soon!

x        Protective hairstyles – I rarely wear my hair down, reason being I don’t like my ends rubbing down on my clothes, that in itself leads to strands flying out. I love to keep my ends tucked away. Check out my hairstyles.



Two days post Moisturizing and Sealing, my hair looks vibrant and healthy.
My Solution
I decided to transition by trimming my hair once every two months over a period of one year. I’m hopeful that by then my relaxed ends will be off.
 
Alternative Solution
One can decide to dive right in to the deep end and cut off the relaxed ends at one go. It’s nice to keep your options open, as long as your hair is healthy.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment