Thursday 12 September 2013

Discover your Hair Type

The first question that probably pops into mind is “What on earth is hair typing?” Some people may go on to ask “Is it important that I know my hair type?” or “So now that I know my hair type, what next!”
Let’s begin,

What is Hair Typing?
You know how everything else in the world is divided into certain categories, for example, in the animal kingdom, animals are classified into mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish. Our hair is also classified into different types.
Figuring your Hair Type
Now, let’s try and figure out what yours and my hair type is. Let’s start by identifying that they’re 4 categories, namely, Type 1, 2, 3, and 4. Each hair type is then subdivided into “A, B and C. It’s better shown than typed down. So take a look at the pictures below:

STRAIGHT

 

WAVY

 
CURLY


 

KINKY

 
 According to The André Walker Hair Classification System:
 
 
 The Importance Behind it all
The classification system basically helps us understand the way in which our hair was designed and how the stands of our hair behave differently to different circumstances. For example, humidity has an adverse effect on Type 4B or C hair causing likely shrinkage and probably no effect on Type 2B. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the latter is better than the former. All types of hair are beautiful in their own way, there is no type that is better than the other.
 My Hair Type
How i determined my hair type was pretty simple. I followed the charts above… and I definitely fall under Type 4 which is kinky. We can also see that the curls in 4A are tightly coiled although not as tightly coiled as in 4C. My new growth possesses a curl pattern like in 4A, whereas my texlaxed hair has a less defined curl pattern, and more of a “Z” shape which is 4B. Therefore I am Type 4A/B.
 
 
 
The back section of my hair in the wet state.
Keep in mind that I'm transitioning. My relaxed ends are very straight.

 
 
I held the ends of my hair, and stretched it out so you can see that my curl pattern is less defined and more Zig-Zag.
 

 
Mid section of my hair, unstretched. 
The 'Z' pattern is quite visible here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment