Sunday 8 December 2013

Master the Art of Detangling

Galatians 5:17

In every believer’s heart there is a constant struggle between the old nature and the new. But although the battle is often fierce, we have a mighty helper – Jesus, the captain of our salvation. He is always with us, and He assures us that we will end up as “more than conquerors” through him. Jesus is the way.

Hello beautiful people, I’m officially back to blogging about my hair after being away for what felt like forever. It’s awesome to be back.

Now let’s get down to the nitty gritties of Detangling.

Let’s face it, learning how to detangle hair with texture or natural hair requires both patience and practice.

Review

I’ll start by giving you a brief summary about my hair. I’m currently transitioning from relaxed hair to texlaxed hair, and having to deal with different textures is quite the task. I’m nearly 19 weeks post texlaxing and I have about 2+’’ of new growth, that means that not only am I dealing with 2 but 3 different textures. Upon embarking on my hair journey, I made a clear- cut decision to look after my hair myself with a few exceptions. I will only visit the hair salon when I need to braid, trim, or texlax my hair.  I pretty much handle everything else.

My hair nightmare

I mentioned above that I’m currently 19 weeks post with a few inches of new growth. However at the time of ‘this incident’ I was 13 weeks post and what I didn’t know was that ‘new growth = humps and bumps’ if it is not properly detangled. I was still caring for my hair like I did before the new growth came about, and that was when my nightmare begun. One morning when I was getting ready to style my hair, I noticed the enormous ‘humps and bumps’ in my new growth, and it was next to impossible to get my fingers through. I had knots within knots and the tangled sections were the size of a marble. One may ask, “How could you allow your hair to get to that stage?”. Well, the answer is, I would never detangle the roots of my hair thoroughly. My biggest mistake!
 
 

1.      Front section – Still tangled.

2, 3, 4. The knots extended from my scalp until the point at which my fingers are.

How I managed to safely get through the knots

I tried a few things to begin with, none of which worked. However, I came up with a method that worked wonders:

ξ        To start off, I put some coconut oil and water in my spray bottle.

ξ        Then I took a small section of my hair. Big sections are difficult to work with.

ξ        I started by gently separating the strands of my hair away from the knots using my fingers.

ξ        When I felt like the knots were out, I gently run my fingers through the hair closest to my scalp to make sure there were none left in that section.

ξ        I lightly sprayed only the new growth with the oil and water mix. The water makes the new growth soft and the oil adds slip so that the knots can easily slide down the strand/s of hair.

ξ        I used a wide tooth comb to detangle further from tip to root.
 

1.      Coconut Oil.

2.      Water in my spray bottle.
 

1, 2. Well detangled sections.

3. I braided the detangled sections.
 

Ever since I mastered the Art of Detangling, I haven’t come across major knots. I occasionally get small knots which is absolutely normal because I’m transitioning.



Alternative solutions

ξ        Use of conditioner is also recommended. Preferably with water.

ξ        Dry detangling in sections using your fingers first and then a wide tooth comb.
 
 
 
Dry detangling method

1.      Using a wide tooth comb, comb gently from tip to root.

2.      This section is already detangled.

3.      This section is still tangled.
 
Make sure:

ξ        To detangle your hair thoroughly before you wash it.

ξ        If you choose to use a comb, make sure it’s a wide tooth comb and always start from the ends toward the roots.

ξ        Most of all be patient with your hair.

Blessed Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment